It’s hard to believe it, but fall is pretty much here. And with it comes cooler weather, sweaters, and all things pumpkin! And while you might be used to thinking of pumpkin as something sweet, it actually can be used in a more savory dish. This pork, poblano, and pumpkin stew is sure to make your new home smell of deliciousness.
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Neutral cooking oil, such as canola
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, strained (liquid reserved for another use)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, butternut squash, or kabocha squash
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Pumpkin seeds, for serving (optional)
Don’t let the ingredient list daunt you. This stew comes together quite quickly and can easily be doubled for a larger serving size or leftovers to take to work the next day. One of the best things about this dish is it actually tastes better over time, so you can make it a couple of days ahead of time so the seasoning can set in.
Before doing anything you’ll want to pat the pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat three tablespoons of oil in your Dutch oven and in small batches brown the pork. Avoid over crowding the pan and make sure each side is well browned. Remove and place in a separate bowl.
Add your onions and peppers, as well as kosher salt to the Dutch oven and brown. Once a golden color stir in the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, brown sugar, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Saute for a minute.
Add a cup of chicken stock and bring to boil, removing the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and reducing to a glaze. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Add pork once the pumpkin is cooked and let finish cooking for 10 minutes.
A delicious home cooked recipe is sometimes just what you need to feel right at home, especially if you’re shopping for a new home and still in the process of turning a house into a home. If you’re looking for a new home for sale, contact us or check out our selection of manufactured homes.